Monday, March 8, 2010

Cheap Sunglasses

As soon as I started driving I was blinded by the glare, and I reached for my sunglasses. They are cheap ones. Sure, I could wear the expensive kind, but then I’d just be twice as mad when I lose them (which is often). Ahhhhhhh…I felt instant relief as I put them on. And suddenly I realized; it’s been far too long since I last wore my sunglasses for their intended purpose: to simply keep the sun out of my eyes.

I wear my sunglasses for lots of reasons.

Some days I wear them because I need coffee before I attempt a shower.

Some days I wear them to hide the bags under my eyes from another restless night spent worrying about the things I cannot change.

Some days I wear them to shield myself from the world. I foolishly believe in some strange way that thin layer of plastic can somehow provide me some privacy.

Some days I wear them to hide the tears I cannot hold back.

But today, I wear them only for shade. Today they are merely protective eyewear. Not a shield, a mask, or a plastic tissue. Today they are just sunglasses.

It doesn’t matter how much they cost. Good sunglasses keep the sun out of your eyes but never off your face.

2 comments:

  1. I wear my sunglasses at night
    So I can so I can
    Watch you weave then breath your story lines
    (and) I wear my sunglasses at night
    So I can so I can
    Keep track of the visions in my eyes

    You shoulda known i'd throw some Corey Hart at ya...

    ~S

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dammit, now I have that friggin song stuck in my head!! I must admit I'm impressed (and saddened?) that you know the lyrics that well...lol

    It is a repost, but I was kinda feeling it today. :)

    ReplyDelete